Monday, April 27, 2009

Things Don't Always Turn Out Like You Plan - WIP

Remember the previous post? How I mentioned that the buzzards were coming back and I just happened to have sculpted a buzzard head?

Because I was inspired to "just get on with it" and finish the little guy, I sculpted his body from some different clay - a new type for me. The next morning, I found my buzzards body had lots of deep cracks all over it!



****** YIKES! ******



A really good look at the cracks below.


My husband mentioned that the cracks were actually a pretty cool effect. Hmmm... he was right. With a different subject this would be really great.

So, I turned the body upside down and around. Voila! It was a perfect skull shape. The cracks looked good now.

I added some more of that good ole' cracking clay and sculpted the skull features. Oh yeah! Happy again.


Now, I am not at all goth or dark or creepy in my real life. A skull had appeal to me but only if I could give it a fun twist. A clown idea emerged when I stuck a red bead on his missing nose cavity.


He kinda looks like me, too. Oh yeah, happy again.



I will post some pictures soon of my totally finished skellie clown, Bonezo.
BTW, I understand some people are skeered of clowns. If you aren't too chicken, check back soon!

8 comments:

Judy C said...

Very innovative. The clay is interesting. The skelly looks too too cool. And after Killer Klowns from Outer Space, I am almost scared of clowns. But not your skelly. Good work.

Dianie said...

Karen all I can say is.. YOU ARE BRILLIANTLY AMAZING ! I LOve IT:)

~Diane

Skeleton In My Closet said...

You are so clever!

Now I see how big he is!

What is your armature made of & how thick is that layer of clay? I just wondering what the mitigating factors were for the deep cracks. Like if a more porous armature would have made a difference.

I just love Bonezo : )

Josie

BoneyLittleFingers said...

Josie, the base is styrofoam and the clay layer was very thin - about 1/8". After it cracked all over I painted on a coating of diluted glue to ensure the clay was secure and sound before I used any of the finishing paints.
Is he about the same size as Killer Klown?
Karen

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

These are freaking cool...Love how you made the clay crack...awesome...can't wait to see them finished!
Cheers!

Flora said...

WOW WOW WOW !!!!!What kind of clay was that? You think If I used it as a buzzard body that mine will turn out to be a kickass skull too?
after reading about the thinness of the clay I understand why it cracked!!!I got the same cracking when I used Crayola air dry clay, the thicker applications worked like a charm though.
blessings,Flora

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love your skulls. i just found your blog and i think you should check mine out. i am just about to post my skull collection. i have antique knitting needles in ivory with carved skulls on the top of each one. i also have a huge witch collection i have started to post pics of. check it out at:

octoberfarm.blogspot.com

enjoy!

joyce

Kimberly Ellertson said...

Are you going to create a new turkey vulture!?!?