Friday, April 17, 2009

It Must be Spring... The Turkey Vultures have Arrived!


So, okay... I know that most of you don't look for the return of the turkey vultures to signal that warmer weather is ahead, but in my little high country valley, they are a sure sign that Winter is over.
Now, this story gets a little eerie later on -- you'll see.
Just last week I had some Apoxie Sculpt left over from sculpting an element for a crown I was making for a swap piece. Without really thinking, I just sculpted this little vulture head. {side note: it appears that I am stuck on birds lately... Rocko Peep was my last sculpt before the crown}
Obviously, he is still in the WIP stage.
I think Mr. Buzz Ard needs a hat. Here are three options from my costume wardrobe. I am leaning toward the top hat at the moment and must decide before finishing the rest of Mr. Ard's body.
************************
Number 1... I call this the duffer or dude hat.
****************************
Number 2... The top hat.

**************************
Number 3... the wizard hat.
************************
Now, this is the eerie, weird part. About 5 days after I sculpted Mr. Buzz Ard's little head these three real turkey vultures showed up on my property. Never in the six years I have lived here have turkey vultures been spotted anywhere on the property -- they are down the road, usually soaring over some carrion in an open field. These are BIG birds, the cottonwood tree they are roosting in is over 90 feet tall.






So, I have to wonder... what were they looking at and why were they visiting me and Mr. Buzz Ard?
Hmmm............?

14 comments:

Enchanted Productions by Joyce Stahl said...

Yay! The buzzards are back...the buzzards are back! Spring really is here! Too cool that they stopped by your place for a visit Karen!

Oh I love buzzards! There's always a big watch and celebration every year in Hinckley, Ohio (north of us) for the first buzzards of Spring! Also, there used to be a great rock radio station in Cleveland in the 70's called WMMS..."Home of the Buzzard"! They had a great buzzard logo!

Your little buzzard is absolutely fabulous too! The top hat really does look great on him! Can't wait to see how you finish him!

Have a great weekend!
Enchanted Blessings,
Joycee

Sarah Sullivan said...

Oh that is cool!! I can't wait to see what you do with these guys!! They look wonderful!!! The visitors are cool too!!! Sarah

Pam @ Frippery said...

Spooky. I just saw 4 buzzards in my trees this year too. Never before on our property. They were wearing top hats!

Light and Shadow Studio said...

What does it mean when the buzzards come back early Karen? I love the new sculpt. I was glad to hear the vulture wasn't going on the crown. Hee hee!

Nancy said...

I like the duffer hat! Those are BIG birds. Wow! Have a happy PS day!

Gourdqueen said...

I say the duffer hat. It reminds me of an old cartoon character but I can't remember which one.
He is really looking cool!

Susie Jefferson said...

What about a slightly crooked top hat? Just kind of kinked slightly to one side (a bit like the Cat in the Hat - just a nonchalant angle, not the leaning tower of Pisa). This bird has real character already, not surprised the real ones are hovering: they probably want to adopt him! Never mind finishing all your sculpts - perhaps you need a bit of a break, time to make a bookmark perhaps (you can never have too many bookmarks).

Happy Pink Saturday.

Creepy Creations by Jamie Moore said...

Very cool, great job so far!! I gave you a blog award. You can pick it up over at my blog.

Jamie

Jamie Lott said...

I never knew they were called turkey buzzards....why is that?

Thanks for visiting my giveaway! I'll be sure to put in a good word for ya!

Jamie

Jamie Lott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi Karen! Another great WIP in action! I'm sure Mr. Buzz Ard will look fabulous when your finished. Can't wait to see! All your options are wonderful. I like the top hat.

Hugs,
Lisa :)

vintagepaletteart said...

Ohhhhhh......now that is what we call a twilight zone moment!

Love your buzzard! =o)

*Lori

magikalseasons said...

Love the Vultures! Love your work too!

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hi again Karen! Thanks for coming to visit! You brightened my day yet again! I really appreciate your sweet as can be words!

Hugs,
Lisa :D